Thursday, April 07, 2005

Huh???? (Chp. 2)

I found chapter two a little less provocative and enrapturing than chapter one. I agreed with the author on some points, but I feel as if he was writing from a very jaded, narrow minded view of life, where as Locke wrote with a more general, worldly view.

The author starts out by saying that we don't know what the web is for. Deb, in her blog, seems to agree with him on this, but I don't believe that is true. I think that we have a pretty good understanding about the nature of the web and even if we don't have a complete, clear understanding, we have no problems utilizing it to its fullest extent.

What I totally disagree with is that the author says that we have only started to try to manage our world in the 20th century and only in America. But what about the Catholic church so many hundreds of years ago trying to manage its people? Or how about every war and conquering that has occurred since the beginning of time? Is that another form of people trying to manage the world that they live in?

One thing that I do totally agree with is his list of advantages of being naive and believing that you can manage the world that you live in. That applies to everything, everyone, and every time and place. Another good point that he makes is that business cannot be managed. Just like life and the world cannot be managed. There are too many factors involved in business with other people having a string attached that anyone can make a small tug at anytime and everything gets thrown out of kilter. And half the time these other people/factors donĀ¹t even know that they are affecting your business.

My favorite part was when he talks about how to hate your job and he writes the paragraph about professionalism. I have been fortunate enough to have never worked a 9-5 job, but I can just picture all of these little scenarios about "making idle chatter only about a narrow range of 'safe' topics." Maybe I watch too much television, but are must office environments really like this? No wonder American's are so obsessed with possessions in power. They work in an environment where they have neither. I would go crazy too.

What I don't understand is how he keeps trying to relate the web to our need to not be managed when I think that the web is probably our greatest attempt manage the world, conceptualize it, dualize it, put it on a computer screen and make it as accessible as possible. He really doesn't explain in great detail what he meant by that, and I wish he had.

Finally, I think he makes a good point as to how important the web has become to corporate culture. I really agree with Chris's point that "We mimic businesses in that we try to manage our day for maximum efficiency." As an artist, perhaps I am missing some of his points because I am not as reliant on the web for my everyday interaction with people. To me the web is more of a worldwide catalog/encyclopedia/phonebook whereas he refers to it as "the new corporate infrastructure that infects everything it touches." I think maybe he needs to walk away from the computer screen for a minute and go see a movie. Just kidding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home