Thursday, March 24, 2005

Okay so I read the chapter and I do agree with Joy with that fact that it is a little repetitive. But besides that, I totally agree with everything Locke said. Overall, I found this to be one of the more interesting and motivating articles I have read. First of all, I am sick of the idea of everyone trying to fit into this 9-5 image, this corporate concept as the ideal way to live. Locke understands, even though he doesn’t directly say it, the need for small business as the way for the future. Unless these corporations begin to think “small business” by working one-on-one with their employees and empowering them and allowing them to think for themselves, these big corporations are not going to last.

Locke mentions this need that most humans have to connect “between what we do for a living and what we genuinely care about,” and I feel very lucky, because as an artist, I feel like I am able to do that. I feel sorry for people who are “stuck” at their job.

I really feel now that I have a better understanding of the history of the “Net” and how it has and is socially affecting our culture. One of my favorite quotes was, “The net grew like a weed between the cracks in the monolithic steel-and-grass empire of traditional commerce.” I really like the fact that the creation and growth of the net, and still to this day, works as an underground revolution, just like the 60’s and no one even knew it was happening.

I didn’t even know that in the beginning of the internet, it was really just a trial and error situation with a bunch of networkers arguing and defending their thoughts. And on top of that, the corporation couldn’t even touch them. I wish I had been part of something like that growing up.

Locke makes very clear how essential intranets and internets are to our society right now. Companies need their employees to stay active online because these employees are the very consumers that companies are trying to sell to. They are the best source of ideas and feedback for the products that the companies are trying to sell. So why trap their creativity? Why punish these employees for playing?

There was an interesting point that Locke made that made me think of the many of the issues other cultures are having with violence. He was saying that people who don’t have play and knowledge in equal measure, get depressed and the guns come out. I do agree that people need an outlet and that the internet is our outlet. But would this situation really apply to other cultures? I wonder how something so sedentary and unemotional could really solve the cultural problems. Could the internet really serve as a release for all cultures?

Okay, so I am running out of word count and there is so much more, but I like what Locke says about the internet and markets in general being a conversation piece for everyone to communicate with each other. Jessica mentions this in her blog post and I didn't think about how now, in this class, how we have become a part of this internet revolution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home